Charfield Angling Association (CAA)
Fishing has been suspended for an indefinite period by the CAA Committee in light of Government guidance on Corona virus. For updates follow the CAA Facebook page and watch out for CAA News emails to members.
The Association controls fishing on the Little River Avon between Damery up to Charfield and also on the Ozleworth Brook up to the road bridge just below Renishaws. Fishing on CAA waters is suited to anglers who enjoy the challenges of small river fishing for Brown Trout and Grayling (plus the occasional Chub and Roach) using fly and classic bait fishing methods on a catch & release basis. Deep drops offs, steep banks and fallen trees must be negotiated in places to get the most from the river.
The public part of this site provides brief information and a place for potential new members to record their interest in joining. The members area holds Association documents for reference (including the information on all Beats, Health & Safety assessments, insurance details, the Association's Constitution, plus materials from the last AGM).
Many members use the CAA Facebook Group to share fishing reports, etc.
If you are interested in joining the Association please provide your details using the Contact page. Membership is limited (to control pressure on the river). There is currently a waiting list with Senior Membership full. The Membership Secretary will make contact when a vacancy arises. There are vacancies for Junior Members. Senior Members who have submitted a Catch Return for the previous year may request a one-day Guest Ticket for a friend or family member to accompany the Member to fish the Associations waters.
CAA river stewardship activities in 2020
- Riverfly surveys completed: 3 date (LRA, Ozleworth Brook, True LRA) - results reported = Ok;
- Water quality assessments: 2 completed (Feb & Mar). Both Phosphate and Nitrate readings equate to very good ecological status. Strong flows helping flush the catchment of pollutants;
- Working parties plus plastic/rubbish removal: 3 working parties completed, next one planned for 28th March. 1 sackful of plastic litter bagged & disposed of so far;
- Himalayan Balsam removal: Weds evening pulling sessions - June onwards, dates tbc;
- Poaching: No incidents reported so far.